- About Healthy Blue
When you cover yourself in BlueSM, it’s all about you. You get:
- A name you can trust.
- Benefits you can count on.
- Our network of providers across the state.
- Over 25 years of experience serving South Carolinians.
A History of Caring
We launched our first HMO in 1984. In 2008, we added our Medicaid option for people who are eligible in South Carolina. When we first went live, we were in 34 counties with fewer than 10,000 members. Since then, we are proud to say we have grown to be in every county in the state. Our main focus is you. We make sure:
- You have low copayments for visits to doctors and for generic or brand drugs.
- You get extras. We have a prenatal program for moms-to-be. We also have a nurse help line you can call 24 hours a day, seven days a week to talk privately about any health topic. Or you can get help deciding what to do or where to go for a health problem.
- Our local staff can help you. Community resource coordinators help match your needs with local resources to get you the right care.
- When you need one, you get a case manager. A case manager will work with you and your doctors to help you take care of health issues like asthma, diabetes and pregnancy.
Coverage Close to Home
As the number of members we serve grows, so do the number of ways we get involved:
- We offer health fairs, one-on-one member meetings and availability at local events.
- Our Diaper Drive in 2011 collected nearly 300,000 diapers. We donated these diapers to help struggling new moms.
- We also hold baby showers and events throughout the state to help prepare future moms.
- We work with local organizations to help you in other ways.
When you need a plan that has your health covered, Healthy Blue is the right plan for you.
- What is Medicaid?
Medicaid is a health and long-term care coverage program that is jointly financed by the state and federal government. Each state establishes and administers its own Medicaid program and determines the type, amount, duration and scope of services covered within broad federal guidelines. States must provide certain mandatory benefits and may choose to offer other optional benefits.
The South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS) administers the Medicaid program in South Carolina. It ensures the availability of government-funded health care services for eligible members.
Healthy Blue, a managed care organization (MCO), provides health care benefits to Medicaid-eligible members with a focus on access, prevention and education.
We emphasize the member/provider relationship. This helps the member’s health care services begin at the primary care level, which:
- Increases access to primary and preventive care.
- Increases access to appropriate specialty care and improves overall coordination of care for members.
- Improves health outcomes and improves quality of life for our members.
- Improves the overall cost effectiveness of the Medicaid program and helps us be wise stewards of state dollars.
In addition, at no cost to members, Healthy Blue offers many value-added services not available through the traditional fee-for-service program.
- Important Health Plan Documents
Here, you will find important documents that will help you understand how our health plan works, which services are covered, and which providers or hospitals are in the Healthy Blue network.
- Evidence of Coverage (EOC) (April 2018)
- Evidencia de Cobertura (EOC) (Abril 2018)
- Actualización de la Evidencia de Cobertura (Octubre 2018)
- Registro de Control de Cambios en la Evidencia de Cobertura (Abril 2018)
- Family of BlueSM Extra Benefits
- Beneficios adicionales de Family of BlueSM
- Provider Directory
- Community Partnerships
Coverage Close to Home
Healthy Blue serves members in each region of South Carolina. We partner with the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Foundation, as well as several community organizations, to provide helpful health care services and benefits that our members can use.
- BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina
A Name You Can Trust
Did You Know? Healthy Blue is part of the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina family? BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina is also the oldest and largest health insurer in South Carolina.