15 Tips for Self-Care Amateurs
In case you’re wondering what the hype is around this phenomenon called “self-care,” let me explain. Thanks in part to social media, self-care has become a trending topic with millennials being the driving force behind it. There are many definitions of self-care, but PyschCentral sums it up pretty well: “Self-care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional and physical health.”
That sounds easy enough, right? Maybe not so much.
Self-care is one of the most important things you can do for yourself, but it’s also one of the easiest to forget. Maybe it’s your busy work life, or the kids come first. Whatever the reason, caring for yourself is a hard commitment to keep.
Women, especially moms, spend much of their time caring for others. But when you only focus on others, it’s easy to get burned out. Self-care is about recognizing your own needs, and taking steps to meet them.
Here are some things you can do to start taking better care of yourself:
- Talk with a trusted friend.
- Sit outside and listen to the birds.
- Practice breathing exercises.
- Play with your pet.
- Get enough sleep.
- Make room in your day for a nap.
- Make exercise a regular part of your routine. A 20-minute walk, three times a week will do.
- Take a warm bath/shower.
- Listen to music you enjoy.
- Try a yoga class.
- Write in a journal.
- Read a good book recommended by a friend.
- Plant a garden.
- Buy yourself a little something — a flower or a candle to enjoy during your bath.
- Make room in your schedule to attend a class and learn something new (a language, a dance, pottery, etc.).
Playing with my dog is one of my favorite ways to wind down and relax. Share this on Facebook, and let us know other simple ways you fit self-care into your day.