Vision Benefits for Healthy Eyes
At BlueChoice HealthPlan Medicaid, we know how important healthy vision is to you and your family. That’s why we’re pleased to offer Healthy Connections vision benefits through Vision Service Plan (VSP).*
Click the ‘+’ symbol next to each section below to learn more.
Vision benefits through VSP
These are a few of the vision benefits offered through VSP. For a full list of benefits, log in to the VSP website at www.vsp.com. You can also call VSP Member Services at 1-800-877-7195 (TTY 1-800-428-4833).
For children under 21 years of age:
- Preventive screenings up to the day of your child’s 21st birthday
- One eye exam, pair of eyeglasses (frames and lenses) and related fitting every 12 months
- One pair of replacement eyeglasses every 12 months
For adults 21 years of age and older:
- Medically necessary services needed to diagnose and treat eye conditions
There’s a $3.30 copay for members 19 to 21 years of age. We won’t cover routine vision services for adult members. Adult members who are diagnosed with a vision impairment need prior authorization and approval from VSP to receive vision services.
To learn more about medically necessary vision services, search our medical policies and:
- Select Medical Policies and Utilization Management (UM) Guidelines.
- Search “vision” in the search field
How to find an eye doctor near you
Visit the VSP website at www.vsp.com to search for providers by location, doctor or office name.
To search by location:
- Enter your zip code, city and state
- Select Search
To search by doctor:
- Enter your doctor’s last name
- Select South Carolina
- Select Search
To search by office name:
- Enter your doctor’s office name
- Select South Carolina
- Select Enter
Learn more about events in your community with these helpful resources:
- The BlueChoice HealthPlan Medicaid Community Resource Link — Find free or low-cost local services in South Carolina.
- The BlueChoice HealthPlan Medicaid website events calendar — Find free vision health screenings at an event near you.
- Impact America — South Carolina — Get help making sure your child receives vision care early by calling 1-864-412-5488 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time.
Extra help for members with vision loss
Call our Customer Care Center at 1-866-781-5094 (TTY 1-866-773-9634) Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time if you:
- Have questions about your plan or benefits.
- Need our materials in a larger format.
Tips for healthy eyes
You can help your vision stay strong by doing things like:
- Getting a comprehensive dilated eye exam. This lets your eye doctor take a look inside your eyes to check for common vision problems and eye diseases.
- Finding out about your family’s eye health history. Many eye diseases are passed on by family members. If someone in your family has been diagnosed with an eye disease, you could be at a higher risk of having the same condition.
- Visiting your eye doctor for regular checkups. If you’re age 60 or younger, you should see your eye doctor every two years. If you’re 61 or older, you should see your eye doctor every year. People with vision problems or certain health risks need to see their eye doctor more often.
- Eating well. Certain foods, like carrots, spinach and salmon, help keep your eyes healthy.
- Watching your weight. Being overweight can put you at a higher risk for certain health problems, like diabetes, which can lead to vision loss.
- Protecting your eyes. Wear sunglasses, safety glasses, goggles, and eye guards when you go outside or play sports.
- Not smoking. Smoking can cause vision problems that lead to blindness.
- Taking a break from your electronic devices. Cellphones, computers and televisions make your eyes work hard. Try looking away from these screens every 20 minutes to rest your eyes.
- Keeping your contact lenses clean. Make sure to wash your hands before putting your contact lenses in or taking them out. You should also make sure to clean and replace your contact lenses regularly. This helps you avoid eye infections
Call VSP Member Services at 1-800-877-7195 (TTY 1-800-428-4833). You can also email VSP at email@example.com.
VSP’s Member Services hours are:
- Monday through Friday 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific time
- Saturday 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific time
- Sunday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Pacific time
- Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day
*Vision Service Plan is an independent company that provides vision benefits on behalf of BlueChoice HealthPlan.