About Healthy Blue
Healthy Blue is part of the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina family of health plans. BlueCross is the oldest and strongest health insurer in South Carolina. We have a history of caring, with more than 70 years of experience serving South Carolinians. We are committed to our providers and members. We offer:
- A name you can trust.
- Benefits our members can count on.
- Extra benefits for our members on top of standard Medicaid benefits, such as free adult vision exams
History of Care
We launched our first HMO in 1984. In 2008, we added our Medicaid option for people who are eligible in South Carolina. At that time, we were in 34 counties with fewer than 10,000 members. Since then, we are proud to say we have grown to serve every county in the state.
On this site, you will find resources that help health care professionals do what they do best — care for our members. We make sure:
- Our members have low copays for doctor visits and for generic or brand name drugs.
- Our members get extras. We have a prenatal program for moms-to-be. We also have a 24/7 NurseLine members can call to talk privately about any health topic, or they can get help deciding what to do or where to go for a health problem.
- Our local community resource coordinators help match members’ needs with local resources to get them the right care.
- A case manager works with members and doctors to help take care of health issues like asthma, diabetes and pregnancy.
Coverage Close to Home
As the number of members we serve grows, so does the number of ways we get involved:
- We collaborate with our providers to host health days, conduct member town halls and local community events.
- We hold baby showers and other events throughout the state to help prepare future moms.
- We host quarterly regional Health Education Advisory Committee meetings for our members, providers and community partners.
- We work with school districts, nonprofits, providers and other agencies to impact the needs of our community.
- Our farmers’ market and Back to School events have provided fresh produce, school supplies, as well as resources for thousands of South Carolinians.
When members need a plan that has their health covered, Healthy Blue is the right plan.
Healthy Blue serves members in each region of South Carolina. Healthy Blue gives back to South Carolina communities where we live and work through the efforts of the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Foundation. We also promote good health and access to quality health care by providing funding to community partners. Our funding supports free medical clinics, school nursing programs and other ways that we help South Carolinians who need it most.
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina
Did you know Healthy Blue is part of the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina family? BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina is also the oldest and largest health insurer in South Carolina.
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina and the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Foundation are independent licensees of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.