How to enroll
New to Medicaid?
1. Apply for Medicaid with Healthy Connections
Before you can choose Healthy Blue as your health plan, you’ll need to apply for Medicaid benefits with the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS).
You can apply in one of these ways:
- Online: Visit apply.scdhhs.gov
- By phone: Call Healthy Connections at 1-888-549-0820 (TTY 1-888-842-3620)
- In person: Visit your local county office
2. Check your mail
Your local SCDHHS office will send you a notice telling you if you qualify for Medicaid. If you’re eligible, you’ll receive a medical ID card with your approval notice. You’ll also receive a packet to help you choose a health plan.
3. Choose Healthy Blue as your Medicaid health plan
When you receive your Healthy Connections welcome packet, you have 30 days to choose a health plan. Don’t miss your chance to join Healthy Blue for the benefits you need to live your best life. You can select Healthy Blue as your health plan in one of these ways:
- Online: For the easiest way to join Healthy Blue, visit scchoices.com.
- Your Healthy Connections Medicaid member ID
- Healthy Connections Medicaid PIN
- Date of birth
Find your member ID and PIN in your letters from Healthy Connections Choices.
- By phone: Call 1-877-552-4642 (TTY 1-877-552-4670) and tell them you want Healthy Blue!
- By mail: Choose Healthy Blue on the Health Plan and Doctor Selection Form found in your Healthy Connections New Enrollment Packet.